Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer Color Inspiration and a "Mini-Challenge"

There is an informal "mini-challenge" at the end of this entry!  Be sure to read on!  

In my jewelry-making, what inspires my designs most is the beads.   And I'm drawn to the beads I choose first of all because of color.  Of course there are many factors (such as what the beads are made of, their quality, texture, shape, uniqueness, etc.), but my designs tend to begin with color.

Because of this, I am always looking around me for new color combinations.   Sometimes that may come from a textile, a piece of art, or nature--anything that gets me to looking at and thinking about colors in new shades and combinations.    

Most of you know, I also have a fondness for taking macro-shots of flowers.   Over the last few weeks, I've been lucky enough to receive a lovely bouquet and collect some fresh blooms from my own garden.  


#1:  dark pink, yellow, dark purple

And I tried something new this time.  Because I couldn't seem to find a place to take the the photos that highlighted the flowers without the background of my furniture and walls, I tried photographing them in the light tent I use for my jewelry.   I thought the results were rather unexpected, the images more crisp and vibrant!



#2:  lime green, yellow, pinkish-red



#3:   periwinkle, berry, yellow, green




#4:  raspberry/fuschia, carnation pink, bright yellow, sage green

I also took some in the front living room window, where I used to do all my jewelry photography.  There is lovely light there in the summer months and a sheer curtain which serves as a nice filter.


#5:  white, soft pink, cranberry, yellow

But I'm really sharing these today, not as examples of photography, but for their color inspiration.



#6:  bright yellow, raspberry, lime

Each piece of each bouquet offers some new opportunity to combine colors that would be beautiful in jewelry design!   In addition to color combinations, the photographs suggest colors which could dominate and others which could be used in smaller quantities to accent.  

For example, without the photo above, I don't think it would occur to me to create a bracelet with yellow beads and smaller accents of deep berry and lime green...or perhaps brass beads for that center!  But it strikes me now how eye-catching that would be!



#7:   fushia, violet

What about this deep purple and pink?   More to your liking? 

Totally Informal "Mini Challenge!"

  • Which color combination do you like best?  Please leave a comment!  I'm hoping you'll find one that inspires you today!


  • If you do make something based on any of these color combinations, I'd be thrilled to receive a photo of your work and the number of the photo on this blog post you used as inspiration!   I'm hoping we can show your jewelry in future blog post!  (To begin this process, please leave me a comment on this blog and a way to reach you.   I'll contact you with further instructions.)

  • For this "mini-challenge" you may also submit a jewelry item you have already made that fits the color combinations.

  • You are NOT required to use every color listed under the photo.  Please use at least 2-3.

  • To sweeten the pie, anyone who submits a photo by  July 31st, will be eligible for a give-away drawing.   I promise you something colorful as a prize!  


If you have any questions, please let me know!

Have some fun and enjoy the weekend!  I hope you find yourselves color-inspired!

~Sharyl / Sharyl's Jewelry

* * * * * * *



18 comments:

aneri_masi said...

6: Bright yellow and lime (i dropped the raspberrry :P) and 7: Fucshia, violet

Anonymous said...

I think that I am going to do #1 or #4. The beads will have to have their say...

Norbel said...

#3 Periwinkle, Berry, Yellow and Green WITH OR WITHOUT the Berry. :)

Sharyl said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite color combinations! I hope to hear from more of you!

It sounds like Lisa may take me up on the challenge! Hope more of you do as well!

Guess I started this, I'll need to pick out one myself! Hmm... :-)

Unknown said...

I like #2 and #4! So hard to chose between them..guess I should see what I have in beads for each first! :)

Sharyl said...

Yes, do, Elena! That's what I did. Had to consider my stash first! :-) I've decided on #5 for myself! Worked on a piece this afternoon! Can't believe I made this idea up on a whim. What fun! :-) Hope you are all enjoying too!

Work Of Our Hands said...

NUMBER 1 FOR ME PLEASE :)

Carole M. said...

love the beads/colours and the flowers. What a wonderful way to find inspiration for colour combos Sharyl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dolores Raml said...

Gorgeous photos, I really like #7 and I'm working on a piece right now that would be perfect for this challenge.

Chris said...

I am in Santa Rosa CA caring for my brother who is in his last few months. He is a master gardener and I am daily surrounded by the colorful beauty of his creations. I would like to make something to remember these days with him and I think I would use #1 as my palette. Thanks for the motivation and opportunity Sharyl!

TJewellicious by tanti said...

I like #2: lime green, yellow, pinkish-red... :)

Sharyl said...

I'm so thrilled that so many of you are interested in participating! We actually have enough for a mini-blog hop, if you would prefer that to just posting your photos on my blog. I'm happy to do either way.

Please leave me a comment stating your preference. If you prefer a blog hop, and are participating, please leave me:

1) your blog name,
2) your name, and
3) your blog URL.

I'll make a list. I'm looking at late Friday night, Aug. 2 as the posting time so they will be ready for Sat. morning. If you would rather stick with the original plan where you send me your photos and I post on my blog, please let me know that also! Thanks all! --Sharyl

Sharyl said...

P.S. I finished my piece today! The end of the month seems so far away now!!!

baymoondesign said...

I am interested in participating.


1) your blog name Bay Moon Design
2) your name, Kathy Lindemer
3) your blog URL. http://bay-moon-design.blogspot.com/

Sharyl said...

Thanks so much, Kathy! I'm so excited to see what you and the others create!

Heather said...

I like #2 & #7 depending on my beads. The flowers are beautiful Sharyl. Thank you for the insperation.

aneri_masi said...

Just finished making my entry :)
Am glad Saturday is not too far away!