Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick-or-treat for Samhain


Samhain, Day of the Dead, the eve of All-Saint's, Halloween...


Call it what you will, the night of October 31st-November 1st has always been one of my favorite (and most celebrated) holidays.  It's a wonder, because I've never been one for scary things.  However,  I have wonderful memories of favorite childhood costumes (homemade of course), my teen years playing tricks on the trick-or-treaters with my Dad, giving parties for my staff as an adult, and  celebrating the holiday as a mother of a young son.  All of that is past, and I cherish the event even now.  


It's meant different things to me at different stages (from fun costumes and trick-or-treating for candy to quiet reflection on loved ones gone).   One thing it is to me is a celebration and reminder of my Celtic roots.  To me, it seems a more true and honest reminder than St. Patrick's Day.  For Halloween, as we call it now, gets its roots from the ancient Celtic celebration of Samhain.   Long before wars between Catholic and Protestant, there was paganism in Ireland.  


And on October 31, there was Samhain... 




Whatever/however you choose to celebrate, 
stay safe, 
be well, 
enjoy, 
may peace be within you.

--Sharyl

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information:


Santino, Jack. Library of Congress, The American Folklife Center.  "Halloween:  The Fantasy and Folklore of All Hallows."    http://www.loc.gov/folklife/halloween.html





2 comments:

T... said...

oh love how your displayed the pieces Sharyl....love the second piece....enjoy your day

Krista said...

Happy Halloween!