On this Earth Day 2015, the 45th anniversary of this worldwide celebration, I find myself reflecting on things environmental. It's a good time to evaluate what we do right, what needs improving, where we've been, where we are going...
Working with the environment...
1) Though not by design or plan, I ended up having two jobs that dealt with the environment: one in an asbestos removal training facility, another (years later) as a library manager working under contract for the U.S. Environment Protection Agency Region 7. The latter, in particular, provided me a wonderful education in environmental matters! Unfortunately, it also taught me about the politics of environmental concerns... (Bummer that.)
At our home...
2) Indoor air quality matters... Yep, we have our very own Radon Removal System. Wish we didn't need that, but it's not uncommon where we live. Expensive, but well worth the money for peace of mind and better health! (We're also a non-smoking home. None of us smoke, so that is easy!)
3) Outdoor air quality matters too! So we avoid mowing and filling gas tanks in the hottest part of the day. No burning leaves, although unfortunately burning is still allowed where we live. (We have so much further to go... we live in a city where transportation by car travel is most common. That wrecks one's "ecological footprint!") On the bright side, we are in an older neighborhood that has many very large, very old trees. We also live where tornadoes and ice storms tear them up at times. So we plant a new tree every year or two to make up for the loss. New homes built in our city are required to plant trees. I find that rather amazing! It makes for a lovelier, healthier city though!
Below is our sorry little excuse for a Japanese Maple tree, but we love it!
4) And then there is water quality! This is a bit more difficult to deal with on a personal level, but one thing we avoid doing is putting all those tree leaves in the street so they end up in the storm sewers. (Not sure why folks here so often do this!)
5) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... We are not saints at this, but we try. We have nearly as much material in our recycling bin as in our trash bin. It would be even better if we had less in each!
I'm sure there is more I should consider, but I'll stop here. I'm wondering what YOU do to help the environment or how you will celebrate this day! Please share!
This doesn't help the environment, but could help save you some of the GREEN stuff! I'm having a sale on all jewelry and components.
Shop at Metapolies™ Apr 22-23
and get $10 off your purchase of $45 or more! Code: EARTHDAY45
Photos by Sharyl, 2015
Graphics by wpclipart.com