Friday, May 18, 2012

Sharyl's Bead Packet Design Challenge-- Bead Reveal


"Sharyl's Bead Packet 
Design Challenge #1" 

...is fast approaching now.   (I was warned by a "pro" to start small with my challenges and thank goodness I did.  I had numerous "kinks" to work out even with only 5 participants.  IF/when(?) I ever do this again...  I'll try to do better and avoid the same mistakes...  No doubt I'll make new ones instead!  Not to excuse myself, but I think that's how learning happens.)   


Anyway, hopefully we'll have some fun out of this soon and in the wee-morning hours of Monday, May 21st, all will rise and shine to see our 5 wonderful participants* reveal their creations using a small packet of beads I sent to each.   Nearly all the packets were identical, but sometimes the color of one bead was more pinkish or greenish than another.   And one person had a bead substitute--unfortunate, but it allowed me to squeeze one more person into the challenge!   


*Participants:
Marie-Noel Voyer-Cramp
Kristi Jaro
Shirley Moore
Therese Frank
Kashmira Patel


After the packets were sent, there were just a few remaining beads, which I've been playing around with...  (rolling across the table, chasing under my desk, trying hard not to lose)!    I'll see if I can come up with anything before the reveal date too.


So, here are the beads:


Yep, that's it.  I hope no one was disappointed.  I was drawn to the Picasso finish on each of these and the primarily light turquoise/teal colors with a touch of pink.  But as I said, there are no art beads provided.  Only beads of several different types that could be mixed and matched many different ways to create endless combinations!  


...And the endless combinations are what I'm anxious to see!

Each person is required to only use 2 types of beads, but can use as many or as few as they like. They can make one or more pieces of jewelry.   They can add anything to their designs they want.  It's a really flexible challenge, but I'm very excited to see what each person will do with the starting point of these 16 beads!

Please visit my blog on Monday 21st.  If all goes well, you will find the list of blog participants with links to their blogs and creations.  You can "blog hop" from one to another.  Visit, enjoy, leave comments!   

Hope everyone has a good time!   See you then!

Sharyl ~ 
* * * * * * * * * *

P.S.  Last fall, I was having a conversation with one of our  jewelry designers about how we could take the same objects and design something totally different from them.  From this notion, I got the idea of holding a challenge where a few people would all have the same set of beads so we could see the various designs they would come up with.  I thought it was my "original idea," but I found out later that other people had the same or "similar original ideas" quite a bit before me.   So I want to draw attention to the work of Lori Anderson and others who have held similar events.  While it was never my intention to nab your ideas (and no one ever accused me of such either), I must make known that my  "great idea" was in your head first!  :-)   ~Sharyl

* * * * * * * * * *
Other News:

  • Information coming Sat. on my Give-away for "Double 75" hit!    


  • So many great give-aways and challenges appearing daily on Facebook and blogs I can't begin to keep up!  Hope you can...and that you win!







3 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Sharyl,
I'm very excited to see what the others and you have created with the 16 beads.
I like you played with those beads and waited for them to tell me something then one day it came to me what I was going to make with the beads.
Therese

aneri_masi said...

I LOVED these beads Sharyl! Especially, the ones I used ;-) Now you will just have to wait to see which ones those are, haha!

I would like to know where I can get more of these if its ok for you to share that info!

Sharyl said...

Glad to hear back from you two that you enjoyed working with these!

I'll be happy to share the purchasing info with you and anyone else who is interested, Kashmira. I bought these last fall, so I'll need to go back through my records. As I recall they came from several different places, but I think I bought them through Etsy stores so they shouldn't be hard to locate. Thanks for your interest!