Seed Bead & Metal Blog Hop!
Hosted by Sharyl's Jewelry &
Featuring the beaded work of
There is a smaller version to the right of page.
Please feel free to copy to your your blog or Facebook and share! Thanks!
This Fall, I've partnered with Shirley Moore to host the "Seed Bead and Metal Blog Hop!" Shirley is a seed bead artist and the author of the "Beads and Bread" blog!
Those of you who have followed my blog for a while, know that I'm in awe of those who practice this particular art form. I welcome this opportunity for us all, whether we normally create seed bead jewelry or not, to design using a small piece made by Shirley! (And if that was not challenge enough, we're combining that with some metal components my me, to see what you come up with! I'm looking forward to some very creative responses to this challenge!)
Blog Hop Basics:
- This is a small blog hop, open to 10 participants. (Shirley and I will participate, but are not included in the 10 openings mentioned. These are just for YOU!)
- The reveal date is Sat., 10/19/13. (That means we need to be ready to launch our pages by Friday, 10/18/13, 11:30pm Central time.)
- You do NOT have to have your own blog! Anyone wanting to participate who doesn't have a blog is welcome to send me the photos and text they want posted 2 days prior and I'll put on my blog the day of the reveal.
- Although the packets contain pieces of seed bead work, and while we certainly welcome others who do bead embroidery, crochet, etc., it is not at all required. Designers simply need to integrate these pieces into their jewelry designs in some way.
* * * * *
- Component packets contain handmade items from both Shirley Moore and myself. Each packet is US$18 plus S/H. (S/H within the U.S. is $2.50. Kansans must also pay sales tax. I will ship to other countries, but postage is significantly higher and packages can be delayed. Please consider whether is it is likely you would receive the packet in time to participate if you volunteer. Many thanks!)
- Each packet is unique, but contains 4 types of things:
#1: 1-2 beaded items handmade by Shirley
It's difficult to estimate size, but most of the pieces are approximately 1" x 1".
This photo shows 4 examples.
The top two items are individual pieces.
The bottom examples are a bit smaller and 2 pieces each.
#2: 1-2 handmade metal components by Sharyl.
Round pieces shown average around 3/4 inch. But some are larger, some smaller.
Other pieces are larger and rectangular.
In each case, the items sent could be used in a variety of design functions. (Examples: you may have 2 of something and could use them as earrings, in a necklace, or a bracelet design. You may have a piece you could use as a pendant or a clasp or a bracelet focal! The items sent are not clearly defined in their function. All the more fun for you!)
#3: There will also be an additional metal item(s)
made by Sharyl...
...that may be 1 or more handmade metal components, altered metal components, or wire components or findings. (For example: That might be bead caps or components I've purchased pre-shaped then added patina, a necklace or bracelet clasp I've made from wire, handmade ear wires, a bail, an item that could be used as a dangle or pendant, etc.) All these items have a hand-made touch to them though!
* * * * *
* * * * *
(MORE REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF!)
We're taking the first 10 who sign up this time, so don't delay!
--To sign up, please leave a comment on this blog post indicating you want to be a part of the challenge.
--Leave me your name, your blog name, your blog address (or an indication you want to appear on my blog instead). Having a way to contact you always comes in handy too--whatever works best for you (a Facebook name, email address, store URL, etc.)
--This will be considered a commitment that you plan to purchase the packet and be a part of the reveal.
**Once I have 10 volunteer participants, I'll announce them on the blog. (Keep watching! I will make an announcement by Sept. 16th at the latest, even if we don't have 10.) At the time I make the announcement, I will also put the packets for sale in my store, reserved in your name. A link and instructions will follow at that time. (Participants will have one week to purchase. Any packet left unsold after one week will be offered to the next person waiting in line.)
Each set is one-of-a-kind. The packages are already boxed. Each contestant will purchase their package but the precise contents will be a surprise. I've put them together in ways that I would love to get anyone of them...and hope you feel the same! Boxes will be randomly assigned to participants, including myself! :-)
* * * * *
BONUS! An Extra Opportunity:
We believe there will be an opportunity for participants to submit your designs to the online magazine Bead Chat published monthly in connection with Artisan Whimsy, edited by Melinda Orr. The deadline for entries is Oct. 22 to be considered for the November 2013 issue. We'll confirm that and share more details in the near future. Participation is not required, but it's a great opportunity!
My thanks to my co-host for this Challenge and Blog-Hop, Shirley Moore! And my thanks to all of you!
Please help us spread the word by sharing on your blogs and/or Facebook!
I hope that many of you (10 at least) will be eager to participate! Let the fun begin!
P.S. I'm certain to have left out some detail. If you have questions, please ask!
Photo of bead work by Shirley Moore.
Photos of metal work and findings by Sharyl.
Question Mark: http://www.wpclipart.com/signs_symbol/alphabets_numbers/bronze/.cache/bronze_question_mark.png