Thursday, July 3, 2014

Fire and Water

I'm not a big fan of fireworks, which seems to set me apart from much of society.   Call me a curmudgeon. I just don't care for loud, banging things, whether that be a fire cracker on the 4th of July or a cabinet door slamming in the kitchen.   I'm all about peace and quiet and calm.

However,  the right colorful fireworks in just the right setting (think over a body of water rather than over the roof of my house) can be lovely!    

On our recent trip, one European city (Liverpool, England) gave us a special send-off before we left port that night-- a beautiful view from the top deck of the ship!  I admit, it was lovely (and not too loud), and very enjoyable!  :-)

So,  in honor of the Independence Day holiday, I'll include a few here!



Even as a kid, I loved the colorful ones,
more than the noisy ones!


I'm not sure I ever tried to photograph fireworks before,
so I confess, it was a bit of an experiment!



But even poor photography
can have artistic results! 





Sometimes a single glittering light would appear in the dark.




And other times, a fabulous display would light up the sky!


They appeared to be just over the heads of the crowd here,
but were a nice safe distance away, over the water. 


Green, blue, gold, white, and bright pinkish-red,
they all had their turn in delighting the crowd!



Until the Grand Finale,
and time to leave port for the wide-open seas again! 


Wishing each of you a very safe, relatively quiet, and very happy July 4th!

~Sharyl

* * * * * * * * 




* * * * * * * * 

Images:

http://www.wpclipart.com/holiday/4th_July/firecracker_2.png.html

http://www.wpclipart.com/buildings/homes/homes_4/house_purple_roof.png.html

All photographs by Sharyl, Liverpool, England, 2014.

* * * * * * * * 

5 comments:

baymoondesign said...

Once again gorgeous photos! I agree that the best fireworks are over the water!

Sharyl said...

Thanks, Kathy! Happy 4th!

Shel said...

Oh my goodness - I think you captures the fireworks wonderfully! I'm w/you - I like the colorful, but not so loud, ones too!! Have a wonderful Independence Day Weekend!

Sharyl said...

Thank you, Shel! Same to you and yours! :-)

Shai Williams said...

I am with you. I used to love fireworks but now they are just an annoyance that scares my dogs.