Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Seed Beading" with Tanya Goodwin!


I've had conversations with several of our readers and fellow  bloggers recently regarding the fine art of beadweaving and working with small seed beads. 



Freeform peyote bracelet, beaded by Tanya Goodwin


After seeing these pieces, I can't help but exclaim, "I love the works of yours I've seen, but oh, the patience that must take!"  One of these recent conversations took place with beader, blogger, and photographer, Tanya Goodwin.  




...To which she replied, "For some reason, I've always thought bead weaving was relaxing.  I can get into the 'zone' and listen to the TV or something.  For me, it takes more patience/creativity than I have to string beads.  I am jealous of those of you who can look at beads and find such pleasing combinations."   I found that such a surprising answer!   




using Lisa Kan's Corsage Cuff design.
Visit Tanya's blog to see her variations on the design 
and how she integrated the pieces into necklaces.




I've been admiring the work many of you do with seed beading for a while now, and while my eyesight and nervous system won't allow me to participate,  ;-)  I still find it fascinating, and want to learn more.  It seems like an interesting specialty within the jewelry-making world!   So  I invited Tanya to be a guest on this blog, and she was kind enough to accept and quickly pulled together information for us on the topic.   I'm afraid the hold-up has been all mine.   But I'm very pleased to now present, the long anticipated....

* * * * * * *

Guest Post by  Tanya Goodwin!
Author of the blog, "A Work in Progress."
In her own words...
__________________



Just to give you an idea of what seed beading entails:  

Most weaving is done with a tiny needle and some sort of beading thread.  I like a product called Fireline, but there are other types.  Seed beads come in a great many shapes:  round, cylinder, triangle, hex, and square.  There are some newer shapes that have two holes:  tila and twin beads.  Most seed beads are rather small.  The size 8 are about 3mm, size 11 are about 2mm and size 15 are even smaller.  Most of the patterns I follow use those sizes.  Most patterns also use pearls, crystals, artbeads and almost anything else.




Pattern from Marcy Abney, from La Bella Joya   Tumbling Tiles bracelet.



Ingenuity turns the pattern into "Studded Rounds" Bracelet!


There are several types of stitches that are widely used:  peyote, brickstitch, right angle weave, herringbone, square stitch, spiral stitch, netting (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).  Most of these can be used to produce a flat piece or a circular piece.  They can be embellished and combined with each other to make something totally unique.  The stitches can make jewelry, a small box, different shapes, little beaded animals, etc.


"Sleek in Silver" designed by Hatsumi Oshitani, 
published in Beadwork October, 2011, 





I usually read "Bead and Button" and "Beadwork" from cover to cover.  The magazines have all sorts of projects, including wonderful seed bead projects. There are also alot of designers who sell their patterns on Etsy or Artfire.  


"Beading Babes" blog page


"Beading Babes" is a group started by Karyn from  the blog "Releases by Rufy Doof."   We choose one or two projects for the month and all work on them.  At the end of the month, we post our versions of the projects.  Beading Babes has been a great way to get to know other seed beaders and see how the same design might vary from beader to beader.  If anyone is interested in joining or browsing past projects, hop over to Karyn's blog.


* * * * * * *

I truly thank Tanya for her wonderful introduction to the world of seed beading!   I know there is a lot entailed and as I said earlier, I highly respect this artform!   

I know that several of you have done this type of beadwork--whether a few pieces or many.   

My original intention was to link to your blogs or shops and show off your works as an addendum to this page.  However,  I'm afraid I might miss someone who would like to be included.  

So,... I'm going to ask you to step forward, please.   Leave me a message if you have a website I can link to on a future blog post.   If you can give me a page link with an example of your work, that's even better!    I'll make a list of links and we can blog or shop hop from one to another!   (If you don't have a blog or shop, just let me know and you can email me your photos.  I'm happy to post!)   I would love to see more examples of this type of work...and I know for a fact some of you do this!   So PLEASE share with all of us!   

Many thanks to all of you, and many thanks to Tanya!   

Sharyl

P.S.  Thanks for your supportive comments while I was away a few days.   Your kind words are always appreciated!  


8 comments:

Tanya said...

Sharyl, thanks so much for allowing me to guest post. It's been a blast. :)

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Sharyl,
I enjoyed this post and Tanya is a fantastic bead weaver. I always enjoy viewing what she has made. Tanya did a very good job at giving an insight into off loom bead weaving. I agree with Tanya in that there is just something about sewing those little beads that is relaxing it helps me after a stressful day at work. Sewing those beads also helps to keep my hands busy so I am not putting food in my mouth.LOL!
Sharyl you are welcome to go to my past posts and view what I have done.
http://www.theresestreasures59.blogspot.com

Therese

Carole M. said...

a great post Sharyl! Great freeform peyote bracelet up top from Tanya; how impressive. Really enjoyed reading your profile and learning about your creative projects in this craft. Delightful photographs each and every one.

Sharyl said...

Pixiloo/Tanya--The pleasure was all mine! Thank YOU for contributing!

Therese--Thanks for commenting and for sending your link! When I do the followup on this topic, you'll be in there! I'll be in touch!

Carole--I can't help but agree! Tanya does beautiful work! I couldn't begin to do this sort of thing, but I'm totally impressed by it!

The rest of you--keep your comments coming--I especially would like to come up with a list of others of you participating in seed beading--no matter your skill level! (Experts welcome! Beginners welcome! We're all about learning and sharing here!)

Thanks again! --Sharyl

Shirley said...

What a sweet woman you are! I totally agree with Tanya, it is much more of a struggle for me to try stringing than to beadweave. What I really love about it is that even when you have picked out all the colors of seed beads, you still get a great surprise when you start weaving them together. Depending on the technique used, you can get a totally different look with the same beads. You are welcome to check out my blog as well for my journey thru seed beads...with a little bread thrown in as well! :)

Shirley said...

Oops, forgot my link! www.beadsandbread.blogspot.com

Karyn said...

Great post and thanks so much for mentioning Beading Babes!

Karyn

AntiquityTravelers said...

I absolutely love Tanya's bead weaving! she always does such beautiful work!! and I had to laugh as I use fireline exclusively. I've been asked why .. and the truth is that I'm a pretty rough beader! It is supposed to be impossible to break fireline, but I assure that I have on more than one occasion.

And I see my mentor/ teacher here (Therese) who runs the Time to Stitch blog hops! She is also one heck of a stunning bead weaver!

I'm always happy to join in, but I am a novice in comparison to these two!